Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Canning 101: Tomato Sauce and Peach BBQ Sauce

Wow, 40lbs of tomatoes doesn't sound like much but believe me, it is! Especially when you have to get it all done in a day. I'm in the process of canning tomato sauce today using a recipe that Barbara Kingsolver shared on her website. It looked much more simple, and productive, than any in my canning book so I decided to give it a try.My mom SO graciously purchased a new 16qt stock pot for me to make it all in. Thanks Mom! It smells really good! It takes a while to reduce (we're talking hours here people) so I don't have it canned up yet.

I also canned up some "Zesty Peach BBQ Sauce." This is a little twist on conventional sauce because instead of using tomatoes, it uses peaches (which I also have about 40 lbs of!)

Here's the recipe:
Zesty Peach BBQ Sauce

6 cups finely chopped pitted and peeled peaches
1 cup finely chopped seeded red bell pepper
1 cup finely chopped onion
3 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 1/4 cup honey
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp hot pepper flakes
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp salt

In a large saucepan combine every everything and bring to a boil. Reduce and stir frequently until it is the thickness of commercial BBQ sauce. About 25 minutes.
In boiling bath canner process for 15 minutes for 1/2 pint jars or 20 for pint jars.
(I took about half of my sauce and put it through the blender to create a smoother, less chunky sauce- but that is up to you on how you'd like the consistency.)

7 comments:

Christa said...

Okay, you just have way too many great ideas. I have some frozen peaches, will those work on the BBQ sauce?

Mountain Home Quilts said...

I don't see why you couldn't. Especially if you didn't want your sauce too chunky. I don't mind some chunks but without blending it, is was a little too chunky for me. Using frozen peaches may solve that problem. They's probably cook down more than fresh ones!

Laurel said...

How many pints did you get from the BBQ sauce recipe? Looks yummy!

Kim said...

That looks great! I don't buy barbecue sauce anymore~too much "stuff" in them. I think I'm going to have to make another trip out to the "island"!

Tami said...

I made the peach bbq last week and have taken to calling it a sweet and sour. Yummy.

Anonymous said...

yum! i bet that peachy sauce is super good!!
We have a pineapple salsa recipe that we really like. Sometimes i think it's nice to have the fruity versions of salsas and sauces. a little different is nice.

RURAL said...

Oh this sounds wonderful. I might try to make a very small batch for eating on the weekend.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Related Posts with Thumbnails