Wednesday, November 3, 2010

homestead update + a recipe

Wow, it seems like forever since I've blogged. Oh wait, no, it doesn't just seem like it, it has been forever!
We have had quite a few things going on that have kept my fingers and my mind away from the computer world. Here's what's been happening:
1. Mason. That little baby is a peach. I am so in love with that little boy. He's had a couple ups and downs though lately. A couple weeks ago he burned his hand (pretty bad) and has been having to have it wrapped (and re-wrapped) twice a day. It is healing really well though and I'm hoping to have the wrap off by next week.
He has just started walking and is doing so well. He also is turning 1 this Friday, which is coincidentally my birthday as well! We won't mention my age though. And Wyatt just turned 13 a week or so ago.
2. The pigs are getting bigger, and bigger and bigger. No longer cute little piglets, they smell and I'm ready to butcher. Butchering them will have to wait until January though.
3. Speaking of butchering, the turkey's official D-day ("D" meaning death) is November 20th. Only 17 more days with those little ladies. Phew.
4. My dad had heart surgery last week and is now home and doing pretty well. The surgery went well but there are still a few things to be worked out in the next month or so.
5. We've had a bear coming around that has been creating quite a few problems for us and the neighbors. I guess this year is pretty bad with bears here. Overpopulation, not a good thing with bears.
6. All 3 of my little kids were sick with the flu in the last week. That wasn't pretty.
7. Gavin and I have been volunteering on Wed nights at church with "Kids JAM" and it's going well. Love to see the kids hearing about the Lord and having a great time too!
8. I'm still working on covering up most of the garden. The herbs stay where they are though and I got garlic in the ground about 2 weeks ago.
9. I've had a little extra time to read and have been reading this book by Debi Pearl. Wow, it's good and while I would say that I do most of the things in the book that Debi talks about, she really enlightened me in a few areas that I need to improve. Great read. I'd highly recommend it to all wives!
That's about it here. What have you been up to?
Since it is fall I wanted to share this recipe. I actually got the original recipe here and then had to modify it quite a bit for what I had on hand. The results? Pretty darn good if I do say so myself. Perfect for fall.

Pumpkin Cake Bars With Cinnamon Icing (my way)

For the Pumpkin Cake:
1 1/2 c pumpkin pie mix (that eliminates the honey and spices)
1 c peanut butter (because really, almond butter is WAY too expensive here)
2 eggs (from pastured hens!)
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 t vanilla extract


For the Cinnamon Icing:
1 box instant icing (as pictured below)
1 tsp cinnamon


Preheat your oven to 350F.
In a medium sized bowl, combine all the cake ingredients and mix thoroughly to combine. Pour into an 8×8 oven safe baking dish (I suspect you could squeeze 12 cupcakes out of this recipe if you use a muffin tin). Bake until completely cooked through, about 30 minutes.
I baked mine in a 8.5" pie plate and then made my frosting after the cake was baked. When cooled, I frosted it. Then we inhaled.


The only thing I would do next time is not put as much frosting on. It was too sweet for me. If you have a HUGE sweet tooth though like my hubby then it's, "just the right amount."
One of the greatest things about this recipe though is that it's grain free! Yep, you read that right- no flour! And if you follow the recipe for the icing that's in the original recipe then it can be milk free too (in case you have someone with that allergy.)

I'm going to try and quilt some more in the next few months and the next thing I'm planning on sharing here is how to bind a quilt (just for you Lisa!) Keeping my fingers crossed that I can get to that in the next few weeks.
Plus, I'm planning on a book giveaway later this month. Stay tuned!

13 comments:

DangAndBlast! said...

huh - the nogreaterjoy website is banned by Houston Public Library for having a "malicious web reputation," whatever that means! The pumpkin recipe looks good, though...

Unknown said...

You have been a busy lady. Babies, bears, surgeries, burns, birthdays....

The recipe sounds yummy and since everyone around here loves everything pumpkin I will give it a whirl. Thanks for sharing.

PS. You probably know this but keep plenty of Vitamin E on that burn while it heals. Amazing. Mary, my youngest burnt herself last winter on our stove really bad. But now you can hardly tell it's there. And it was bad!

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Tricia, that's exactly what it was- the wood stove! I'll get some vit E to use- thanks! :)

Mountain Home Quilts said...

DandAndBlast- O.k. that is just funny! :) The only thing I can think of is that the husband is into knife throwing (I believe he competes, or used to) so maybe the library didn't like his references or books on that. Who knows?!

Beautifully Veiled said...

YUM!!! I do believe we will be trying that one! My husband's favorites....peanut butter and pumpkin in once dessert!!

Glad to hear from you!!!
Linda

Christa said...

Whew! Lots of things happening at your homestead. All you need now is for your sewing machine to break down! That would put the cherry on top.

Blessings...Christa

Leslie said...

goodness, i am worn out just reading that list. considering all that you have had going on, i am not shocked that the blog has taken a little unplanned break. it is so nice to see you here again though. thanks for this tasty recipe. i am in a pumpkin mood!!!

Sunny said...

I have that book by Debi Pearl and find myelf returning to it when I start to feel out-of-line ( and I think we can all get that way at times in our life) Good teaching!

I made my hubbt a hubbard squash pie 3 days ago. It was so yummy and smooth. You just use the squash instead of the pumpkin.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Goodness no wonder you haven't posted lately - you haven't had time to breathe! I'm so sorry about Mason's burn and the flu kids - none of that is fun. But I'm glad to hear your dad is doing well. I looked up that book on Amazon and found a used copy for $4.48 + shipping. I often lead women's Bible study groups so that might be a good thing for me to read - you never know what "Pearls" (don't you love that pun!) I might find to share. :) blessings, marlene

Anonymous said...

Does pumpkin pie mix have flour in it....??? I don't see any flour in this "cake" receipe.

Sick kiddos and bears... stay out of trouble.

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Marlene,
I think that the book would be a GREAT Bible study!
Mimi,
You're right, there is NO flour in it! :)

Holly said...

Glad you like the book. Its an ever-read, you can be refreshed by it every time you read it. I love how she emphasizes smiling and happy heart responses. The website is most definitely banned because of their child training methods. While highly effective (I use and re-use that book too), some call it strict and abusive. They have undergone a lot of heat for the way the recommend child raising should be. The stuff really works though! And it makes for a happy home! I can lend you that book too if you want to look at it.

Anonymous said...

oh my!! you have been a busy mama!
I'll be praying for Mason's hand. Poor little guy. I bet you could use a bit of prayer also.
God is good to hear us when we call on His name.

I think it is now 2 weeks since I blogged. It's been a bit crazy around here too. I haven't been very motivated to do it. Although I've been busy with other things.

If your hubby happens to get that bear. Make sure to have some made into pepperoni. We did a few years ago with a bear we got and it was the best pepperoni i've ever had. Breakfast sausage was very yummy too.

not sure when I'll get back onto my blog but hopefully soon.

looking forward to the binding tutorial!

Praying that God's peace will be with you today!

Related Posts with Thumbnails