Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Pumpkin Unit Study

I love pumpkins.
I always have. I always will.

I don't know how I came to love them but I do and I have since as far back as I can remember. Really, I used to hug pumpkins. But that was in those weird teenage years. I don't hug them anymore but I do still love them.

When I saw this post on Growing Up Homeschooled I knew what we had to do. Pumpkins. An entire week devoted to them. Normally I don't choose the topics that my children "study" so precisely. We try to fall somewhere in the learning realm of Charlotte Mason. I lean towards unit studies and a little bit of unschooling too.





If you're interested in doing a pumpkin study here are some great resources that I have found. One of the greatest things is that a pumpkin study can be done at any time in the fall. This is not a Halloween study or a Thanksgiving study, it's simply about the pumpkins!





Growing Up Homeschooled Free Pumpkin Unit Lesson Plan


Growing Up Homeschooled Pinterest Fall Learning Page


The Virtual Vine Pumpkins Aplenty


Moments of Mommyhood Pumpkin Pie Spice Playdough


Hostess with the Mostess Paper Pumpkin Ornaments


Devotions in Motion Pumpkin Devotion


Almost Unschoolers Pumpkin Shaker


Craftaholics Anonymous Mini Paper Pumpkins


University of Ill. Pumpkin Facts


2 Teaching Mommies Pumpkin Study (this is one of my FAVORITES!!)




Here are some of the books we've read this week....












We have one more day in our pumpkin study (tomorrow) and we'll be reading, baking pumpkin bars, coloring a pumpkin picture, and making the play dough (that's the one craft that my kids have been looking forward to all. week. long.)


Have fun!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

its a really great idea.
i've never thought about it, but it's something I'm going to aim at doing next year!

Anonymous said...

Love the intense concentration on their little faces!

trump said...

I'm spending a little time checking out new blogs, so i thought id stop and say hello to you folks. Richard from the Amish community of Lebanon Pennsylvania.

Noor Janan said...

Your kids are darling! Your pumpkin activities are very nice. I love it!
www.noorjanan.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails